How to Customize Your Denim
Make your jeans OTT fantastic with patches and jewels.
Have you ever taken sandpaper to your favourite pair of jeans? If the answer is yes, you are not alone. A major trend on the jeans scene is customized denim, including everything from patch appliques to jeweled embellishments. Think Vetements’ gorgeous new geek-chic, floral embroidered denim, Ashish and Sonia Rykiel’s playful patch-covered jeans and studding à la DSquared (we love the tiny studs along the seams of their Fall 2016 denim jackets).
To learn how to get each look, follow the steps below.
- Find your favourite patches in-store at Topshop, and play with placement before you make the patches permanent.
- Look to street style for inspiration or begin by grouping multiple patches on one section of your jeans, like the back pockets or the front of the thighs. Also, try mirroring two bigger patches on each side of your jeans for a little well-placed symmetry. Or simply add a standout patch or two in a key position—on the knees or just at the hips—for a look that’s clean and playful.
- When you have your patches in perfect position, pin them in place, so they don’t fall off while you work.
- If you’re using iron-on patches, heat up your iron and follow the instructions on the packaging.
- For a longer lasting effect (and if you’re handy at sewing), after the patches have been ironed on, add a few stitches along the seam where they can be hidden, to keep them secure.
- Pair with a crisp white tee and complementary sneakers.
- Call this the grown up sister to your bedazzled jeans. Grab a pair of jeans, a measuring tape, a sewing machine or a glue gun—depending on how you wish to embellish—and have fun. A really craft friend could come in handy as well.
- Look to high-end labels like Versace and Polo Ralph Lauren for inspiration.
- Every few inches along the waistband, around the pocket seams or down the sideseams, add studs for a sleek rock-chick vibe. Or take note from Versace and create a grommet and studded patterned that mimics the pocket line. Or, if you’re feeling really inspired, create a floral- or cowboy-inspired burst of jewels down the outer seam of the leg on both sides, as seen at Polo Ralph Lauren.
- For each, use your measuring tape and chalk to mark out where to place each stud before you get to work on your design of choice.
- Pair with a smart blazer, pointy-toed pumps and simple tank top and let your jeans take centre stage.
From August 12 to 26, snap a changeroom selfie in a denim look that you love for a chance to win a pair of jeans. Tag #HBDenimGoals on Instagram to enter.
Photography by David Pike.